J1 Visa from bhagwatilaw.com

J1 Visa

Exchange Visitors-Overview

The J-1 Classification (exchange visitors) is authorized for those who intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training.

In carrying out the responsibilities of the Exchange Visitor Program, the Department of State designates public and private entities to act as exchange sponsors. J-1 nonimmigrants are therefore sponsored by an exchange program that is designated as such by the U.S. Department of State. These programs are designed to promote the interchange or persons, knowledge, and skills, in the fields of education, arts, and science.

Examples of exchange visitors include, but are not limited to:

  • Professors or scholars
  • Research assistants
  • Students
  • Trainees
  • Teachers
  • Specialists
  • Nannies/Au pairs
  • Camp counsellors

Application Process

The U.S. Department of State plays the primary role in administering the J-1 exchange visitor program, so the first step in obtaining a J-1 visa is to submit a Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status, (formerly known as an IAP-66). This form will be provided by your sponsoring agency. You should work closely with the officials at your sponsoring agency who will be assisting you through this process. An official who is authorized to issue Form DS-2019 is known as a Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO). Your RO or ARO will explain to you what documents are needed in order to be issued a DS-2019.

After you have obtained a Form DS-2019, you may then apply for a J-1 visa through the U.S. Department of State at a U.S. embassy or consulate. The waiting time for an interview appointment for applicants can vary, so submitting your visa application as early as possible is strongly encouraged (though you may not enter the United States in J-1 status more than 30 days before your program begins).

immigration | citizenship | immigrant | bhagwati authorization | immigration services | citizenship immigration | bhagwati associates | filing instructions | employment authorization | applicants filing | filing application | immigration benefits | authorization document | citizenship immigration services | u s citizenship | bhagwati associates pllc | filing instructions addresses | u s immigration | applicants filing application | application action approved | Immigration lawyer | American immigration lawyers | Attorneys | Attorney | Lawyer | Green card attorney | Green card | Us visa | Dc immigration lawyer | Dc visa lawyer | Lawyer and attorney | Lawsuit | Latest immigration news | H1b visa | Us green card | NY Immigration lawyer | NJ Immigration lawyer | Business law | Commercial Litigation | Employment Law | Admiralty and Maritime Law | Personal Injury

For More info. Plz. Visit our Website http://www.bhagwatilaw.com

Bhagwati & Associates, PLLC.

New York Office

450 Seventh Avenue

30th Floor, Suite 3002

New York, NY 10123

Phone: (646) 380-8172

Fax: (212) 504-2774


Bhagwati & Associates, PLLC.

New Jersey Office

1588 US Highway 130

North Brunswick,


Tel:(732) 853 0791

Fax:(732) 328-2727


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s